Thursday 15 September 2011

Restaurant: Muntri Mews Hotel, Muntri Street, Georgetown

I have previously provided a short write up about the very nice boutique hotel Muntri Mews which is located on Muntri Street (not far from Chulia Street) in Georgetown Penang. Previously the hotel only used to serve food on Friday and Saturday nights but that has now changed with evening meals being provided 7 nights a week.

In light of the change I visited the hotel again recently for an evening meal and to catch up with my friend Chona Bacani. It was a Thursday night and all the tables were full (I have since been during a public holiday week and the tables were again full) so it may be a good idea to book depending on which night you wish to go.

On this occasion I chose a chicken satay starter and a beef rib-eye rendang washed down with several bottles of Tiger at a very reasonable RM 8 per bottle. The satay I have to say was excellent and is easily on a par with that which I have had at my favourite satay hawker in New Lane. The chicken was moist, tender and VERY well marinated in a tasty blend of spices and soy sauce and was served with an equally delicious peanut and chilli sauce which made a for an exceptional starter. The rendang was also excellent. Again, tender pieces of meat served with a rich and fiery dark red sauce accompanied by steamed rice and enough salad to break up the dish with some variety. I finished off the meal with with a very nice banana fritter with ice cream with the fritter served in a crumb rather than a heavy batter coating which can at times be a little heavy. The whole meal, from memory, was only around RM 40 which was very good value for money.

I'm glad I returned to the Muntri Mews and will certainly do so again on a regular basis. They also serve a nice breakfast if you are in that part of town comprising either continental fare or tasty local Malay dishes with a range of hot drinks (an excellent latte), smoothies and juices. Very well worth a visit.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard so much of Muntri Mews. Can't wait to stay there one day ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's very nice. I also like the Yeng Keng mind, and both about the same price. I'd actually say the Yeng Keng has the better bar/seating area to be honest.

    Let me know if ever you plan to stay at Muntri. Will see if I can get you a rate from my friend there :-)

    ReplyDelete