Sunday 10 April 2011

Restaurants


I'm trying to draw up a list of restaurants I might like to try while visiting Malaysia and particularly the Penang area since that will the base for my stay. These are not places I will definitely go to but are more places to make a mental note of so I can give them a try if the opportunity arises. Clearly it all depends on how the mood takes me, what I fancy to eat on any given day and what recommendations are made on the ground when I'm there, and of course the look/feel of the places when/if I find them. On that basis, some of the places I'm considering so far are:

Georgetown
· Tho Yuen (Lebuh Campbell): Chinese - dim sum
· Teik Sen (Lebuh Carnavon): Chinese
· Madras New Woodlands (Lebuh Penang): Indian
· Restoran Kapitan (Lebuh Chulia): Indian - tandoori and biryanis
· Spice and Rice (Green Hall): Indian
· Sarkies Corner (Lebuh Farquahar): Mix

Tanjung Tokong / Tanjung Bungah
· No Eyed Dear (website)
· Blue Reef (Straits Quay): Good for fish and nice marina views
· Yyu Yuan: Local dishes and Chinese

Batu Ferringhi
· Palace (BF): Indian
· Ship (BF): Steaks etc
· Ferringhi Garden (BF): Steaks etc.

There is also the Golden Steamboat, a buffet/BBQ style restaurant I am planning to look up and this is in Jalan Nagore. Many of the restaurants listed above have been pulled from the guidebooks listed under 'Useful books' but I am also indebted to Bakedbean and Strider24 from the British Expat forums for several of the recommendations.

In addition to those listed above I will try the odd international restaurant while I'm there too, mainly to see if they do the food justice as at times I am very partial to French and Italian cuisine. As one of my hobbies I am doing a professional chef's diploma at the moment and French classical cuisine is my main inspiration, and particularly the food turned out but the current greats such as Raymond Blanc, Michel Roux (Jnr) and the outstanding Pierre Gagnaire. In fact, I was fortunate to be offered the opportunity to work at Le Gavroche (the Michelin starred London restaurant of Michel Roux) for a couple of days at the end of last year, but that's another story!!

Once in Malaysia I intend to post comment, if not full blown reviews, of the vast majority of places I visit be it restaurant, food court, hawker stall and bars etc. to include details of quality, cost, decor and ambience etc etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment