Tuesday 22 March 2011

Jabs

Just back from the surgery (where I must have hit the "Assign miserable nurse" button on the way in) and found that I only need one jab as I was already up to date with others.  In all I was advised that I would need:
  • Diptheria
  • Tetanus
  • Polio
  • Hep B
  • Hep A
  • Typhoid
I had already had a Hep A / Typhoid (combi) in 2007 so it was just a booster for those today.  I was just advised to be careful on the Malaria front and that the safest way is to avoid getting bitten.  I have made a mental note to explain that, and the reasons, to the mosquito population when I arrive.  I trust they will not be offended.  I may also take the old fisherman's preventative of Brewer's Yeast tablets which I used to take when I was fly-fishing regularly.  It seemed to work (or they just didn't like my blood).  If I recall correctly you take about 3 a day for a month then one a day for the duration of the season thereafter.

Rabies is apparently low risk and I am naturally immune to TB.  Dengue Fever also sounds like one to avoid, again spread by the ever so helpful 'mozi' but I'm not sure if there is a vaccine. It seems not as I wasn't given it.  Dengue was apparently 17% up in October 2010 with 37,419 cases in Malaysia. 

Clearly anyone seeking to travel to Malaysia should seek their own medical advice with regard to vaccinations but I'm quite thankful I just needed the one and all my vaccinations are now up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment