Tuesday 7 January 2014

Bagan: The Phoenix rises from the ashes!!


Long term followers of the blog will know that one of my absolute favourite haunts in Penang was the 'Bagan' club in Jalan Bagan Jermal, Tg Tokong.  It really was a superb place, heritage look and feel, a good mix of bar, lounge and restaurant with good live music and superb DJs.  I think that for me, one of the reasons I liked it so much was the look and feel of the place a contemporary take on a classic heritage look, sort of 'shabby chic' - I don't know how but it just worked.

Sadly Bagan closed it's doors a couple of years ago but the cloud seemed to have a silver lining as the owners of Bagan intended to open up a 'New Bagan' at Macalister Mansion (MM), one of my fave hotels and restaurants in Penang.  Despite the excitement, and despite the success of the rest of what makes up MM sadly, for me, New Bagan didn't work.  It failed to capture the essence of the old Bagan and if entirely new was what was being looked for, I have to say, that didn't work also.  New Bagan eventually closed becoming The Cellar wine bar, a concept that is actually much more in keeping with the classy MM theme.

Recently however, a little bird told me of the intention of the owners to open up a Bagan again, in the centre of Georgetown.  Further, I was told that the intention is to re-capture the look, feel and success of the original Bagan.  I can't say too much more now but stay tuned for more information.  The good news is you won't have to wait long!  

So, the Phoenix rises from the ashes again!!!  Let's hope the latest iteration of Bagan really does bring back the very unique theme of Bagan I, something which is now sadly lacking in Penang.

No comments:

Post a Comment